OPEN SCRIPT SUBMISSION: NORTH EAST
Do you have a full length play that needs to be read?
Live Theatre is a home for new plays, and we want to read your script. We are interested in bold, diverse and contemporary new plays.
This year our focus will be writers from the North East or who live in the North East. We want to discover more regional talent and connect more regional writers. We are doing this by partnering up with Alphabeti Theatre (Newcastle), Laurels Theatre (Whitley Bay) and The Customs House (South Shields) to widen the opportunity for new relationships.
Open Script Submission is not a script competition and there is no specific commission or production outcome. We are looking to build relationships with writers with distinctive voices from our region, that tell stories about our region.
Our next submission window will be open from Thursday 1 to Friday 30 September 2022.
When the Script Submission opens we will be accepting scripts of full length plays (60 minutes or longer) written for the stage (we do not consider radio, film or television scripts, adaptations, pantomimes, musicals or unfinished plays).
Writers must be currently based in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
Sadly we will not be able to give feedback on every script we receive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is this for?
- Theatre writers from the North East of England or who live in the North East of England
- Theatre writers at any level of experience
- Theatre Writers who are 16+
What we are looking for?
- Plays that reflect the contemporary lived experience in the North East
- Plays that reimagine the world we live in
- Plays that are bold, diverse and theatrical
- Original in content
- Plays 60 minutes in length or longer
- We are particularly keen to hear from people who do not feel represented within North East Theatre
What is the process?
- Submissions will be open throughout September 2022
- Submission can be made through a link active on this pace throughout September 2022
- Submissions will be read by Live Theatre’s creative team and freelance script readers
- Shortlisted writers will shared and discussed with partner organisations
- All unsuccessful applicants will receive limited feedback on their submission
To hear more about future opportunities, join Live Theatre's Creative Opportunities mailing listUpdate your email preferences