The Schoolhouse Creative Hub
The Schoolhouse, located behind Live Theatre in Trinity Court is a new office spaces for creative businesses, forming part of a creative hub lead by Live Theatre.
A total of five office units across three floors are rented by small creative and digital businesses.
Located within a beautiful historic building, The Schoolhouse offers a high standard of newly refurbished office space in a prime Quayside location close to Law Courts, Quayside, leisure, restaurant and recreational facilities, and good local transport links including bus, rail and Metro. The redevelopment is led by Live Theatre and supported by funding through European Regional Development Funds 2007-2013 and Arts Council England.
As a social enterprise income from renting the property will be channelled back into the mission of Live Theatre, supporting its artistic and educational work.
The first tenants were confirmed in October 2013, and The Schoolhouse brings an annual income of between £25,000 to £40,000 for Live Theatre.
The Schoolhouse Offers:
• New creative and digital hub developed by Live Theatre
• Within the historic heart of Newcastle Quayside
• Redeveloped to highest standards
• Excellent access and communication links
• Within historic courtyard
• Flexible terms
• Furnished and serviced offices
The Schoolhouse is within Trinity Chare and is situated off Broad Chare, in the heart of Newcastle Quayside. This area is regarded as one of Newcastle’s premier office and leisure destinations and is in close proximity to Newcastle Law Courts and the Millennium Bridge. The building is adjoining, and accessed, through the highly acclaimed Live Theatre’s beautifully refurbished and historic buildings.
The Schoolhouse was originally built as a free school in 1712 by the Guild of the Blessed Trinity of Newcastle upon Tyne, a seafarer guild which had been based on the site at Broad Chare since 1505 supporting Newcastle's growing maritime community and their dependents. Admiral Lord Collingwood was a pupil in The Schoolhouse shortly after it opened and it is believed that radical thinker Thomas Spence taught here. The Schoolhouse was rebuilt and extended in 1753 into the building that stands today and closed in 1870.
The property comprises of a self-contained, brick built office building within its own grounds and overlooks a historic courtyard surrounded by Grade 2* listed buildings. Many original features have been retained including fireplaces, stone windows and a hip slate roof. Internally, the office space is a series of rooms over three floors ranging from 70 sq ft to 730 sq ft in size all of which will be furnished.
The building has been refurbished to provide good open plan accommodation with CAT 6 cabling to enable full functionality for modern businesses. The first floor is accessible by a newly installed lift. The offices benefit from a shared ground floor meeting room and communal kitchen and toilets. It is part of a creative hub being developed by Live Theatre.
Terms The property is available by way of a lease for a term to be agreed. The lease will be provided without security of tenure under Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 (Part II). The leases will be negotiable on flexible terms.
Available on a floor by floor basis or by negotiation for multiple floors or individual rooms.
Individual Desk Space is available from £130 per month.
Service Charge and Rates
There will be a service charge recoverable from the tenant to include a proportion of buildings insurance and rates.
Unless otherwise stated, all prices and rents are quoted exclusive of Value Added Tax (VAT).
The building has the following net internal areas:
communal office space & kitchen First Floor 60.4Sqm (650 Sqft)
Small Office 11.34 Sqm (122.1 Sqft) CURRENTLY LET
Large Office 49.06 Sqm (528.1 Sqft) CURRENTLY LET
Second Floor 81.9 Sqm (881.7 Sqft) CURRENTLY LET
Small Office 11.07 Sqm (119.2 Sqft) CURRENTLY LET
Large Office 70.84 Sqm (762.5 Sqft) CURRENTLY LET
Attic* 36.1 Sqm (388.6 Sqft) CURRENTLY LET
*includes floor area with 1.5m headroom only
Total 178.4 Sqm (1,920.30 Sqft)